Friday, June 22, 2012

Fallen behind (surprise?)

I've fallen behind.  My responsibility, after being in craft lectures, panels, and classes is to write up a page or so of a residency review, so that I have at least 12 by the end of the week and submit them within a week of the end of the residency to the MFA office.  By writing drafts of two last night, I now have nine.  The techniques of presentation in craft lectures range from traditional argument with demonstrations of proof in particular poems on handouts, to collages and illustration on large screens.  Sometimes they're just not so easy to capture in words, which are supposed to be my special medium.  (Outside my window, I see a long line of football players heading north to the gym for a training session.  The weather is cloudy and cool, and they're progressing slowly.)  But I occasionally get distracted by other things.

Workshops were finished yesterday, so the rhythm of the week has changed; classes, craft talks, and readings remain for our last regular full day.  Tomorrow there are things like graduating student readings, and the graduation ceremony and reception, along with a buffet dinner outside.

Yesterday, I met with Kwame Dawes, my advisor, who set up 5 deadlines for sending him the cover letters, book reviews, poems, and revisions that will constitute the main part of the correspondence semester, which lasts from the time I get home Sunday till November 19.  So yesterday, I got a full picture:  a cover letter, 5 poems, and three reviews of books I haven't yet read are due on July 6.  Hmm.  The big salmon feed on Anderson Island is July 7, and we'll be there.  It's also Mary's birthday.

Charles Johnson, author of Middle Passage gave a craft lecture yesterday.  As he was standing there by himself and looking uncomfortable, I approached him and told him how Lesley, our daughter, enjoyed his PBS program when she was very small a long time ago.  He was pleased, more than just pleased; his whole body reacted.

My morning alarm just went off.  I must go.  More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment