Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Advisor for the semester and evening readings

Tonight everyone found out who their advisor will be for the semester, and there was big excitement.  Mine will be Kwame Dawes, the new editor of the Prairie Schooner.  I think he'll be tough but straight. That'll be okay with me.  One young man who didn't put Kwame on his list will still have him for an advisor, and he is sorely disappointed.  I tried to tell him it will be okay, but he wouldn't be consoled.  I think he's talking himself into a corner he might not be able to get out of--complaining loudly and a lot. He came here from Florida to study.  He's very young.  I hope he gets his head on straight, or he'll have a miserable time.

At the reading Marvin Bell was great, as always, and Elinor Langer read part of her book in progress on the last queen of Hawaii and the story of the US colonizing it.  The story, as far as she read, was chilling.

There was a panel this morning in which one guy said something I think is really important.  "Touch the work every day.  Either you're a writer or you're not.  If you come home drunk, touch the writing or get a zero for the day.  And if you're a good Catholic, you know that you got a zero it will be there for eternity and nothing can make up for it."

Short entry tonight partly because I already did one earlier today.

No comments:

Post a Comment